Air pollution has been a much talked about issue in the past few years,even as the quality of air in Delhi continues to plummet..the condition was more daunting in 2017 when the AQ index reached 999 micro-grams per cubic meter, the highest in the history of the capital, and as of today, the pollution levels there are beyond the safe limits. Out of the 10 worst polluted cities in the world, seven are in India and Delhi is one of them. The concern grows, with the impact on health becoming alarmingly evident. A recent report by the state of India’s Environment (SOE) , has held air pollution responsible for 12.5% of all deaths in the country, out of which 100,000 are children below the age of five years. It also has adverse effects on mental health and the intelligence of children, corroborated by a study concuted in Cincinnati, U.S. Other common symptoms are anxiety,depression, suicidal thoughts and several other mental disorders.
Here are some ways to help reduce the impact of pollution to an extent-
- You can use artificial or natural purifiers at home. Plants like aloe Vera,bamboo palm,golden pathos,peace Lily etc.are natural purifiers which can be used as houseplants.
- Train your child in breathing exercises to strengthen the lungs and help combat pollutants.
- It is proven that foods rich in vitamin E and C are effective in reducing the effects of air pollution.
- Use air masks during the days of high pollution.
- Fluids help in detoxification of the body, so make them drink plenty of water.