Sodas are full of sugar, unless they are of the diet survey variety, in which case they are full of artificial sweeteners. They also contain caffeine, and artificial colors and flavors. What really makes them bad for our health is that they have no nutritional value. The reason people drink them is because they like the taste. When considering soda, think about what it contains?
Here is a breakdown of its ingredients-
- Carbonated water- this is plain water infused with carbon dioxide.
- Caramel color- it is chemical, methylimidazole, and not natural.
- Natural flavors- these are mainly citrus flavors used for taste.
- Caffeine- for those who drink coffee, you know what this drug can do. It is diuretic and stimulant that can be addictive.
- Phosphoric acid- when this added to soda, it gives the liquid a tangy or sour taste by breaking down starch to sugar.
- High-fructose corn syrup- it is very unhealthy because it has no nutritional value. Instead, it has lots of calories. Those who consume it end up with heart disease as it causes the hardening of arteries.
By drinking soda, you are loading up on sugar calories. This is certainly not good if you want to lose weight. When you drink one can of soda, your pancreas produces and releases more insulin. This action takes the sugar out of your bloodstream and places it in your cells for energy. What happens next is that your insulin level rises. If nothing is done to alter this, your immune system weakens, eventually causing diabetes. This does not happen at once but over a period of time. It is something you need to be aware of. When sugar is dumped into your cells, it gets stored as fat. And when more and more sugar is stored in these cells, it eventually results in weight gain. Another reason is bad when consumed in excess is because of caffeine. Caffeine is a diuretic and will dehydrate you if you are not careful. It causes your kidneys to work harder to push the extra liquid out. Of your body. Caffeine also reduces the calcium in your body and increases your stress levels. It causes insomnia and nervousness.
It would be better if you reach for a glass of water, fruit juice, or even better, green tea, the next time you are thirsty.