Heard the word cholesterol before? Everybody might have heard about it..but,what does it exactly mean?
Cholesterol is both , a good and a bad thing. It is essential substance for the human body but an excess of it can be fatal.
Basically,cholesterol is a waxy,fat-like substance in ones cells which helps in the making of hormones, vitamin D and other substances which help us digest food. However, an excess of this cholesterol can make a person sick and could lead a person towards dangerous conditions.
Hypercholesterolemia is a condition in which a person has very high levels of cholesterol in the blood. Cholesterol travels through the blood and is attached to proteins. The combination of proteins and cholesterol is called lipoproteins. There are two types of lipoproteins that carry cholesterol in a body.
- Low density liproprotein (˘LDL), LDL or bad cholesterol makes up most of your body’s cholesterol. LDL cholesterol builds up in the walls of a person’s arteries , which narrows and hardens them. High levels of LDL cholesterol raise the risk of heart diseases.
- High density lipoprotein (HDL), HDL or good cholesterol’s main function is to carry the cholesterol to the liver after absorbing it and then flushing it out from the body.
When there is an excess of LDL cholesterol in one’s body , it can build up on the walls of the blood vessels. This is called plaque. As soon as plaque starts increasing,the insides of the blood vessels narrow out. Due to this narrowing, the blood to and from the heart and other organs is reduced drastically. As soon as the blood flow to the heart is blocked, it can cause angina (chest pain) or a dangerous heart attack.
CAUSES OF HIGH CHOLESTEROL-
- Eating too much food rich in cholesterol,saturated and trans fats.
- Inactivity and smoking.
- Familial hypercholesterolemia.
- Diabetes and hyperthyroidism may increase the risk of developing hypercholesterolemia.
Lowering bad cholesterol and preventing clogging of arteries by using turmeric in hypercholesterolemia is an upcoming field of research. Though much has been done, there is a lot more of investigation and trials to be done. We have seen most of the experiments regarding turmeric and high cholesterol have been done on animals.