Asthma is a condition in which the airways get narrowed due to swelling inside them and an increase in the production of mucous.asthma causes symptoms such as wheezing(˘whistling sound from the chest),shortness of breath, chest tightness and cough that vary over time in occurrence, frequency and intensity. It can also interfere with daily activities and may lead to a life -threatening asthma attack. One important fact is to understand that asthma can’t be cured,but the disease and its symptoms can be controlled.
NIGHT TIME (NOCTURNAL) COUGH IS NOT LIMITED TO ASTHMA ONLY BUT TO MANY OTHER ILLNESSES.
- Acid reflux,also known as heartburn,acid indigestion,or pyrosis. It happens when some of the acidic stomach contents go back up into the oesophagus. Acid reflux creates a burning pain in the lower chest area,often after eating. It can also cause cough when it irritates the wind pipe which can be very severe and may cause cough decreased sleep. Also,acid reflux is also very common in patients with asthma
- Common cold,a common viral infection of the nose and throat. It is associated with fever,stuffy nose, rhinorrhea,sneezing and throat pain even lead to disturbed sleep.
- Upper respiratory infection,a common viral infection of the nose,throat and larynx.it also causes nasal symptoms ,throat irritation, pain, occassional breathing issues,headache and severe irritable cough preventing sound sleep.
- Post viral cough ,usually seen after a common cold or URI, causes severe cough with night time symptoms which precipitates with apeech,laughter or with cold food and water and is due to hypersenstivity of the airways.
- .smoking can also cause irritable dry cough along with breathing issues which can sometimes be very irritating in the night.
Another variety of asthma is the cough variant asthma in which the main symptom is a dry,non-productive cough. People cough variant asthma often have no other classic asthma symptoms ,such as wheezing or shortness of breath. Cough-variant asthma is sometimes called chronic cough, to describe a cough that has lasted longer than six to eight weeks. The coughing with asthma can occur during the day or at night. If people have night time symptoms , it can interrupt sleep. Coughing may increase when they are exposed to asthma triggers or allergy-causing substances like dust or strong fragrances ,or when they are in cold air.
THERE ARE SOME IMPORTANT WAYS TO CONTROL AND GET RELIEF FROM THIS NOCTURNAL COUGH.
- Proper treatment of asthma or cough variant asthma.
- Sleep on an incline.
- Manage acid reflux.
- Drinking tea with honey.
- Humidification of room.
- Decrease allergens.
- Suppressants and expectorants.
- Use a saline nasal spray.
- Quitting smoking.
It is important not to ignore night time cough. Those who suffer from it should have it properly diagnosed and ttreated,as asthma is one such disease in which night time symptoms are common. It can be a symptom of worsening of asthma or cough variant asthma or other illnesses . Adequate treatment not only relieves of the condition but also improve the quality of life.